11 March 2016

Salt Lake City

Two weeks ago I booked an unexpected visit to Salt Lake City so that I could attend my grandfathers funeral. My grandfather had been sick for a very long time and my father had been taking care of him for years so it wasn't unexpected. Although there were very emotional parts of the funeral, overall it was a joyful family affair that celebrated the life of my grandpa. The best part was that all of my aunts, uncles, and cousins were there (with the exception of two cousins that are on missions). Many of my cousins, aunts, and uncles I hadn't seen in years and it was wonderful to catch up and spend time with them while they were in town. The photo above is of my brothers and I after the grave side service...we all graduated from the U but by grandfather was a professor at BYU. 


My lovely parents.
Family! 
After the graveside service we headed back to the church for dinner. What's pictured above is some of the dessert offerings. Please notice the green jello. It contained celery, pineapple, walnuts, and a marshmallow and cheddar cheese topping. Yup. It does exist. People do still make it. Thank you Utah County. 
The day after the funeral we headed back town to Provo to spend the day with family. We made a quick pit stop at Lehi Roller Mills because Footloose. 
More jazz hands than footloose. 
We were going for a dance picture...I don't think we quite made it. 
Over the course of the next week I was able to spend time with lots of friends and family. I spent an afternoon with my Grandma Naumann. It was so fun to see all the quilts that she is working on as well as her impressive coloring books. 
 My brothers let me borrow his car while I was visiting and my parents let me borrow the 'house phone'. It kinda felt like I was living in the '90's and I kinda loved it. I listened to this Oasis CD probably 10 times. It is way good and one of two options I had for music in the car. 
The weather was so beautiful I had to open the sun roof. 
Adam and I ran into our friend Albert on evening at dinner and then got together later in the week for lunch. Albert is awesome and it was so fun to catch up with him. We had worked together for many a years at the Albertine Lab and it was fun to reminisce and talk about our old co-workers and days working in the research lab. We are all where we are because of our work there.  
Another evening I met up with my friend Lily. She took me out to sushi and we talked for hours. I met Lily when I was her VT and lived a block away from her in the Avenues. We were fast friends and have been friends ever since. We share a mutual love of books, organizing, and cooking so there is always more than enough to talk about. 
We headed up to Brigham City one evening to have dinner with my Aunt and Uncle and their kids. The spoiled us by ordering Maddox. It was fun to see even more family, 
I stayed with my brother and his roommates, one of which owns this dog. This is Ari taking a nap on my bed. He is a sweetheart with the energy of a puppy even though he is five years old. 
As I haven't seen my whole family since 2014 I decided to take some photos. 
Before I headed home we spent some time in the mountains. 

3 comments:

  1. Yippee!it was so fun having you here. It's also nice to have photos with the most of the family. We'll have to get some with Ben next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yippee!it was so fun having you here. It's also nice to have photos with the most of the family. We'll have to get some with Ben next time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG I made it into your blog!!! I feel so honored. I just checked it because I saw your FB post about St. Petersburg and was hoping for one of your fabulous travel logs. Then I couldn't stop reading and stumbled upon THIS! You made my day. Hugs and love!!!

    ReplyDelete