02 September 2015

Sainte-Chapelle, Musée de l'Orangerie, Musée Rodin

Honestly I had never heard of Sainte-Chapelle until my brother said that he wanted to visit. It was built in the 13th century by King Louis the IX to house his relics, including the crown of thorns, which was carried from Rome to France by two monks. Although the relics are no longer housed there (and I am not entirely sure where they are now housed) this church still maintains it original 13th century stained glass windows, and let me just say they are epic. If you have a chance to go this is definitely a place to visit.  



Vibrant colors are used throughout the church to match the intensity of the stained glassed. Although warn down in some places, in other the bright colors still come though. 



These next pictures don't do the stained glass justice. They are absolutely epic. They are about two and a half stories tall and all of them represent different stories or people in the bible.


Outside the chapel there was some very nice stone work depicting bible stories. Can you spot Noah's ark? How about a sheep being sacrificed?


The church itself is quite small, and takes less than an hour to go though. It is however popular and if you go in high tourist season be prepared to wait up to an hour to get in. Here is a view from the outside. 
After the church we headed to Musée de l'Orangerie. This museum has been on my list for a while, but I didn't have time to go last time I was in Paris. I am so glad we were able to make it this time. It was one of my favorite museums. It is worth going if for no other reason than to see Monet's murals that take up the whole top floor of the museum. There are two large oval rooms that consist entirely of 4 paintings each. 


We had to wait a long time to get nice photos with no one in them, in real life it looked more like this.

Last but definitely not least was Musée Rodin. I went here by myself as Adam had to catch his flight earlier than I had to catch my train. I had actually tried to come here last time I was in Paris but they were closed, so I glad I was able to make it this time.


I have to say I indeed like the smaller museums that Paris has to offer. They aren't as overwhelming and I felt like I appreciated the art a little bit more, rather than feeling like I needed to rush though so that I could see everything.

1 comment: